Jordan is emerging as a regional hub for innovation and technology, especially in the fields of artificial intelligence (AI) and the Internet of Things (IoT). A recent study by INT@J, the Information and Communications Technology Association of Jordan, revealed that more than 60% of Jordanian IT companies are using or developing AI and IoT solutions to enhance their products and services.
The Benefits of AI and IoT for Jordanian IT Companies
AI and IoT are two of the most disruptive and transformative technologies of the 21st century. They enable machines to learn, communicate, and interact with humans and the environment in unprecedented ways. AI and IoT can offer various benefits for Jordanian IT companies, such as:
- Improving efficiency and productivity by automating tasks, optimizing processes, and reducing errors.
- Enhancing customer experience and satisfaction by providing personalized, tailored, and responsive services.
- Creating new opportunities and markets by developing innovative, smart, and data-driven solutions.
- Solving social and environmental challenges by addressing issues such as health, education, energy, and water.
The Challenges of AI and IoT for Jordanian IT Companies
Despite the potential of AI and IoT, Jordanian IT companies also face some challenges in adopting and implementing these technologies. Some of the main challenges are:
- Lack of skills and talent: According to the INT@J study, 58% of the companies reported that finding qualified and experienced staff in AI and IoT was a major obstacle. Jordan needs to invest more in education and training to develop the human capital needed for the digital economy.
- Lack of data and infrastructure: Data is the fuel of AI and IoT, but many Jordanian IT companies lack access to reliable, relevant, and secure data sources. Moreover, the infrastructure for data collection, storage, analysis, and transmission is often inadequate or outdated. Jordan needs to improve its data governance and infrastructure to enable the growth of AI and IoT.
- Lack of awareness and trust: Many Jordanian IT companies and their customers are not fully aware of the benefits and risks of AI and IoT. There is also a lack of trust and confidence in the quality and safety of these technologies. Jordan needs to raise awareness and promote ethical and responsible use of AI and IoT.
The Future of AI and IoT for Jordanian IT Companies
Jordan has a unique opportunity to leverage AI and IoT to boost its IT sector and its economy as a whole. The INT@J study showed that 42% of the companies expressed interest in integrating data analysis tools and techniques into their products, and 37% planned to increase their investment in AI and IoT in the next two years. Jordan also has a supportive ecosystem for innovation and entrepreneurship, with initiatives such as the Jordan Tech Park, the Oasis 500 accelerator, and the Crown Prince Foundation.
However, Jordan also needs to address the challenges and gaps that hinder the adoption and development of AI and IoT. The INT@J study recommended some actions to enhance the readiness and competitiveness of Jordanian IT companies in AI and IoT, such as:
- Establishing a national strategy and framework for AI and IoT that aligns with the national vision and priorities.
- Providing incentives and support for research and development, collaboration, and market access for AI and IoT solutions.
- Developing standards and regulations for data protection, privacy, security, and ethics for AI and IoT applications.
- Building capacity and skills for AI and IoT among IT professionals, students, and educators.
- Raising awareness and trust among customers and stakeholders about the value and impact of AI and IoT.
AI and IoT are not just buzzwords or trends. They are powerful and pervasive technologies that can transform the way we live, work, and interact. Jordanian IT companies have the potential and the ambition to harness the power of AI and IoT and become regional and global leaders in the digital age.