After several accounts of public feuding over the Black Widow lawsuit settlement, Scarlett Johansson and Disney have finally settled the breach in contract. The term of the settlement is yet to be disclosed.
“I am happy to have resolved our differences with Disney,” stated Johansson. “I’m incredibly proud of the work we’ve done together over the years and have greatly enjoyed my creative relationship with the team. I look forward to continuing our collaboration in years to come.”
Commenting on the same issue, Disney Studios chairman Alan Bergman has said, “I’m very pleased that we have been able to come to a mutual agreement with Scarlett Johansson regarding Black widow. We appreciate her contributions to the Marvel Cinematic Universe and look forward to working together on a number of upcoming projects, including Disney’s Tower of Terror.”
The issue raised by Scarlett Johansson addressed that the studio sacrificed the film’s box office potential in order to grow its fledgling Disney+ streaming service. To which Disney countered by saying that Johansson was paid $20 million for the film.
In her complaint, Johansson said the Marvel tentpole had been guaranteed an exclusive theatrical release when she signed her deal. She alleged that her contract was breached when the film was simultaneously released on Disney+.
The lawsuit caused a major uproar on the internet as ‘Black Widow’ was the only original female avenger.
Despite the legal roadblock, ‘Black Widow’ managed to debut with what was then a pandemic best of $80 million in North America and $78 million from international theatres on July 9.