~ Makes arrangements to meet the peak demand of 1290 MW during the summer season ~
~ Augmented network, load forecasting and leveraging technology to ensure reliable supply ~
Balasore, 07 April 2022: Aligning with the forecast and predictions about intensive heat this summer, Tata Power led distribution companies (Discoms) in Odisha have geared up their preparedness for an uninterrupted and reliable power supply. TP Northern Odisha Distribution Ltd (TPNODL), a joint venture between Tata Power and the Government of Odisha which serves over 20 lakh consumers expects peak demand to touch 1290 MW this Summer Season, up from 1174 MW last year. The Discom has undertaken varied initiatives which will help in meeting the challenges of the upcoming summer season.
Demand (load) Forecasting is an essential step toward managing the peak demand and ensuring a reliable power supply. TPNODL ensures demand forecast through parameters such as weather forecast & previous year demand for optimal and cost-effective planning in ensuring reliable power supply to consumers.
Summer Peak Demand Trends in TPNODL’s area:
|2022-23 (expected)||1290 MW|
“As a responsible power utility, we have always kept our focus on providing reliable & continuous power supply to our consumers. It is our constant endeavor to provide the best service to the people of Odisha and with the ongoing summers and the expected increase in the temperature, we have implemented various initiatives and are fully prepared to ensure our customers will have no problem in the harsh weather condition,” said Mr. Bhaskar Sarkar, CEO, TPNODL.
Various other initiatives undertaken by the discom to manage peak demand during summer are as follows:
Strengthening Network through Technological Intervention
The discom has implemented various technologies which are helping in assessing the health condition of the power assets. It is helping in scheduling the maintenance programs of the assets to improve the condition of the distribution assets. TPNODL has further engaged both 33KV and 11KV Business Associates (BA) for the Annual Maintenance Contract (AMC) of substations and lines. Through this AMC a workforce of around 7000 people is engaged who will work in different sections for preventive maintenance and to attend the fuse call complaints.
- The company has set up PSCC on a 24X7 basis, which operates as the Central Control Room.
- A dedicated 24X7 Call Centre is set up where a consumer can call in case of no power supply. The numbers are 1912 & 18003456718
- Circle and Division level control rooms have been set up to facilitate and coordinate with the local field teams and main control center at PSCC, Balasore
- Extensive maintenance work conducted including mass scale tree trimming during the off-peak season which is helping to minimize the untoward breakdown during this peak summer.
Additional Manpower & Resources
- Recently, TPNODL deployed 7500 BA employees with 250 vehicles on a 24X7 basis in urban and 12 hrs for rural areas under AMC for maintenance of 11KV lines and 1700 BA employees with 120 vehicles for 33KV line maintenance.
- Adequate manpower and vehicles are available across TPNODL service areas for preventive and breakdown maintenance of sub-stations and feeders
- All divisions have been asked to hire DG sets in case of any emergency.
- All materials including Distribution Transformers, Cables, Conductors are made available in stock at the company’s departmental stores i.e. Balasore, Jajpur Road, Keonjhar & Baripada to meet the emergent needs.
- Separate material reserve for any natural calamity is being built up.
Consumer First Approach
- Mobile numbers of all the field Engineers (Sectional Officer/SDO/EE/SE) are approachable round the clock to redress customer complaints.
- Power supply to the district Headquarters, Hospitals, Community health centers, Public health center, RWS&S, PH, etc. to be restored/provided on priority.
- All the SE/EE/SDO/JE are instructed to be alert during the ensuing Heat Wave to meet any exigency.
- In case of power interruption, the same will be brought to the knowledge of affected consumers through mobile SMS under Urja Mitra and TPNODL website.
- Arrangements have been made to connect with Odisha State Disaster Management Authority (OSDMA) in case of any emergency.
- Instruction has been given to field SEs to keep ready of Portable Gen Set (ASKA) to mitigate any unforeseen situation
- Coordination between the district administration and local electrical offices has been developed to restore power supply soon by utilization of Odisha Disaster Rapid Action Force (ODRAF) or National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) teams if required in urgent cases.
- All the safety officers are relocated at Division levels. They are sensitizing the field team regarding the safety protocol to be followed while working.
- In case of force majeure conditions such as mini cyclone & failure of transformers etc., the power supply shall be restored as soon as possible.
TP Northern Odisha Distribution Limited (TPNODL) is a joint venture between Tata Power and the Government of Odisha with the majority stake being held by Tata Power Company (51%). TPNODL serves a population of 97 Lakhs with a Customer Base of 20.50 Lakh and a vast Distribution Area of 27,920 Sq. Km. Tata Power has a vast experience in electricity distribution in Mumbai, Delhi and Ajmer and has been a benchmark performer in Delhi for the last 19 years, where losses have been brought down from a high of 53% in 2002 to approximately 7.8% in March 2021. In addition to loss reduction, customer experience has been enhanced by providing one-stop solutions, from state-of-the-art Call Centers and Consumer Care Centers to effective communication and deployment of customer-centric process, creating Customer Delight. At TP Northern Odisha Distribution Limited, the entire focus is on providing a reliable power supply, enhanced customer services and reducing the existing AT&C losses of 25.32% in a systematic manner. All this will be achieved by upgrading the present distribution infrastructure, adopting new technologies and IT enablement and providing various digital services to customers.
|For further information, please contact:|
|Jyoti Kumar Bansal
Chief-Branding, Corporate Communications, CSR, Sustainability
The Tata Power Company Limited
Siddharth Gaur – Head PR
+91 97780 33722